Here at Comal County Habitat for Humanity, we welcome volunteers of all ages. Read more about basic guidelines and activities for youth volunteers below.
While it is important that children be involved with the work of Habitat for Humanity, it is also important that they be engaged only in age-appropriate activities. The most important issue is the safety and well-being of all children.
Age 14 -15: Must have an adult guardian or parent volunteer with them. The adult guardian must be 21 or older. We allow one adult guardian per four youths ratio on any of our sites.
Age 16 -17: May be pre-approved to volunteer without a guardian, after their first day of volunteering with a parent/guardian and received pre-approval from the affiliate. Pre-approval must be done by contacting the Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com.
Age 18 and Older: May engage in all tasks available in New Construction, Home Repair, and ReStore. Home Repair and Blitz Build volunteers must be at least 18 years old to participate.
People under the age of 17 may not:
- Use power tools or be on site where power tools are being used for the activity
- Perform demolition
- Work on the roof
- Work from a height of 4 feet or higher (i.e. on a ladder)
- Be around heavy machinery being used
- Work with chemicals or heavy cleaning solutions
- In our ReStore, youth are not allowed to enter our “Receiving Zone” with or without supervision
- Be on any vehicle with wheels
All Youth Volunteers: Cannot volunteer more than 4.5 hours per day.
Ready to volunteer at our Restore. Let us know so we can schedule a volunteer event. Contact our Volunteer Coordinator.